Things Every Plus-Size Woman Needs in Her Spring Wardrobe
As spring dawns, we celebrate the newness and joy it brings. Nature comes to life after winter with the patter of spring rains. Temperatures begin to warm up, and the days stretch longer. As you welcome the transition into spring, you'll probably feel the itch to start packing away your winter sweaters and look for seasonal clothing. Fortunately, there's a bunch of spring clothing options for you to explore!
Spring fashion for plus size ladies involves some exciting colors, prints and clothing types. Check out these essentials as you say goodbye to fuzzy vests and gear up for spring shopping trips!
Spring Colors and Prints
Spring colors and fabrics tend toward pastels and whites. These light colors give spring clothing an airy and delicate feel like the buds and blossoms we see in nature. According to the Pantone Color Institute, classic spring colors like light yellow, coral pink, light blue and white are making their mark this season. The Pantone Color Institute also identifies some bold new colors that are making waves this spring. Among them include shades of bright scarlet, saffron, mint green, and bright blue.
Much like spring colors, spring prints feature light and fun patterns. Two mainstays you'll find in this category are floral print and polka dots. These prints come in a wide variety of styles — some options are simpler, and some are much bolder.
Choosing a spring color and print that complements your wardrobe will depend on several factors:
- Your personal preferences: You likely gravitate toward certain colors and styles, and that's okay! Your preferences help shape your unique style and give your outfits personality. Pick colors and patterns that you love and that you feel confident in to make your spring wardrobe extra fun.
- Your skin tone: Your skin tone is either cool, warm or neutral. Matching your clothing colors to your skin type can help prevent you from looking washed out this spring. Cool-toned women tend to have pale skin with pink, red or blue undertones. Cool-toned skin pairs especially well with blues, purples, greens and pastels. Warm-toned women typically have medium or dark skin with yellow, peach or golden undertones. Warm-toned skin pairs well with reds, oranges, creams, tans and other earth tones. Neutral-toned women fall in between and may have characteristics of both cool- and warm-toned skin. Aside from neon colors, neutral skin works well with the entire color spectrum.
- Your eye and hair color: The colors and patterns you wear can make your eye and hair colors pop. If you know a certain color makes your eyes sparkle or draws attention to your hairdo, look for that color in your spring clothing!
Ways to Wear Spring Colors and Prints for Plus Size Women
Be on the lookout for certain types of clothing that display these spring trends:
- Spring colors: Whether you prefer the classic spring colors or want to venture into the bold new colors, there a variety of ways to work color into your wardrobe. Printed tops can incorporate multiple colors for a piece that stands out on its own, and solid tops are great for accentuating one color you love. If you're hesitant to venture into bold colors, a bright shoe can be a great first step to show off your favorite spring colors.
- Floral prints: To add floral print to your everyday wardrobe, look for versatile floral tops. Choose from a variety of styles and colors to find the pieces you'll love all season long. For those fancy occasions when you need a good outfit, browse floral dresses for something springy and fun.
Classic Spring Wardrobe Essentials for Plus Size Women
Spring outfits for plus size women take a variety of forms. Because spring is a transitional — and unpredictable — season, you need a versatile array of clothing. One day you may be dressing for sunshine and warm temperatures, and the next you may be pulling out the warm coat you stuffed in the closet. There are a few essentials you'll want to snag to build a functional spring wardrobe to mix and match with.
If a sweater is quintessential cold weather-wear, blouses are their spring counterpart. There's no end to the variety you'll find in blouse colors, patterns, styles and more. Spring blouses are often thin, which makes them breathable and perfect for layering. You can toss a jacket over a thin blouse on chilly mornings, and wear the blouse on its own as it warms up throughout the day.
Straightforward long sleeve blouses are comfortable and stylish. If you want to try out a variation of this spring classic, check out some of the following trendy blouse types:
- Off-the-shoulder blouses: Off-the-shoulder blouses are designed with a wide neck that rests several inches past your shoulders. Depending on the blouse you pick, you can show just a few inches of skin or your entire shoulders. Regardless, this shape accentuates your shoulders for a flattering and delicate look. Many off the shoulder blouses feature flared sleeves that further add to the flowy spring look. Pair these blouses with your favorite jeans and spring shoes to pull together a polished and airy look.
- Short sleeve blouses: Short sleeve blouses are great for when the weather warms up and you need to stay cool. Short-sleeved tunics and peplum tops have unique shapes that are simple to pair with your favorite pair of jeans or leggings. Solid-colored short sleeve shirts are also great for layering under thin cardigans or denim jackets. A trusty collection of printed, solid and unique short sleeve blouses can keep your spring wardrobe stylish and versatile.
- 3/4 sleeve blouses: Three-quarter sleeve blouses can help you balance those cool and warm days with a medium amount of sleeve coverage. These blouses come in a wide range of styles including button-down, wrap, v-neck and more. Pair them with some jewelry and jeans for a fun and classic spring look.
2. Light Cardigans
Though you won't need cardigans for heat in the spring, the rain, wind and cold make it necessary to keep them as layering pieces in your wardrobe. Spring cardigans are typically lighter than traditional cardigans. When shopping for cardigans, you may recognize a spring option because it has thinner fabric, flowy designs and light colors or patterns.
Because spring cardigans are thinner and lighter, you can wear them seamlessly with all of your favorite spring sandals and wedges. A few other ways to wear cardigans in the spring include:
- Tied in the front: Shake up a hip-length spring cardigan by knotting the ends together in front of your body. This look cinches the cardigan around your waist to accentuate your curves and pull your outfit together.
- With a necklace: Cardigans expose the perfect column of fabric to highlight a long necklace. Try out a piece in one of your favorite spring colors to add interest to your outfit.
- Layered over a dress: Turn sleeveless summer dresses into spring outfits by layering a thin cardigan overtop. Choose the weight and pattern to match your outfit and event needs. Be sure to pick a cardigan that is close to the same length as your dress to keep the look functional and fashionable.
Every woman has a favorite pair of go-to jeans. But what about leggings? Leggings can be a great spring piece because they're lightweight and versatile. Layer them underneath a dress or tunic for extra warmth, or wear them with your tops for ultimate comfort.
Here are some of the benefits of adding leggings to your spring lineup:
- They're breathable and light: Spring weather can be unpredictable. If you feel constricted during warm days in thick denim jeans, leggings offer an excellent alternative. Legging fabric types vary, but most of them are breathable and light.
- They come in lots of colors and materials: If you've always been hesitant to commit to a bold-colored jean, leggings can help you branch out. From animal print to bright colors to faux leather, there are a variety of styles to experiment with. Many leggings retail for around half the price of normal jeans, which provides a simple, low-risk way to try out a fun color this spring.
- They're unbelievably comfortable: No matter what your daily schedule looks like, comfortable clothing can be a game-changer. Leggings offer unbeatable comfort that you can style with your everyday looks.
If you're still hesitant to dive into leggings, a pair of jeggings may be a good in-between. Jeggings give the appearance of jeans with the structure and comfort of leggings. Whatever your spring holds, tackle it with the style and comfort of a fun new pair of leggings or jeggings.
There's nothing quite like slipping on some dresses after a long, cold winter. Dresses are a staple for every plus-sized woman's spring wardrobe. Whether you're dressing up for Easter, a wedding, work or a charity benefit, you're sure to find plenty of uses for dresses this spring.
Depending on the weather and the type of event you're attending, there are several flattering spring dress options:
- Solid dresses: Solid dresses come in a variety of styles and target a monochrome color scheme. If you're looking to flaunt gorgeous spring colors, these dresses provide the perfect opportunity to let color shine. Keep these dresses casual by adding a denim jacket and sneakers, or dress them up with heels and jewelry.
- Maxi and midi dresses: If you need a spring dress with ultimate comfort, a maxi or midi dress is the way to go. These dresses accentuate your curves with loose and flowy fabric that won't restrict your movement. They're also extremely versatile — wear them to the mall for shopping or out on a date for a sophisticated look.
- Casual dresses: Casual dresses blend style with functionality for an outfit you can wear anywhere. With the right casual dress, you can add a baseball cap and sneakers to attend a sporting event or run errands. You can also add cute booties or wedges and some jewelry to turn that same dress into a fancier outfit. Casual dresses are a must for your spring wardrobe as they provide a host of styling opportunities that you can adjust as needed.
- Shift dresses: Shift dresses tend to have a wider shape at the bottom of the dress with a column-like structure. This shape helps the dress move with every step you take. These dresses have a feminine, spring-like appearance, and they are extremely comfortable. A shift dress could be the perfect way to try out spring florals, colors or prints.
If you're searching for a stunning, low-maintenance piece to complete your spring wardrobe, look no further than jumpsuits. As an all-in-one pant and top combo, jumpsuits highlight your curves in all the best places. In contrast to a romper, jumpsuits have long pant legs. This allows you to stay warm on those cooler spring days.
Choose from sleeveless or sleeved options to find the jumpsuit that fits your needs. And if you need a little extra warmth, don't be afraid to toss a leather or denim jacket into the ensemble. Pair your jumpsuits with your favorite earrings, belts, headscarves or fun shoes to complete the look.
Events and places for which you may consider wearing jumpsuits include:
- Brunch gatherings
- Concerts and recitals
- Street fairs and carnivals
- Vacation trips
- Dinner dates
6. Spring Shoes
In any season, the right shoes help tie your outfit together. Spring opens the door to a variety of fun shoe options that balance style and functionality. Your spring outfits will likely include a mix of warmer options and cooler options as the seasons transition out of winter and into summer. Accordingly, it's helpful to have a wide range of shoe options to accommodate.
Some spring shoe staples you may consider include:
- Wedges: Platform wedge sandals are a great addition to almost any outfit. They're comfortable enough to wear all day, and they can even show off a cute pedicure! Wear these shoes with your dresses, jumpsuits, skirts or jeans for a stylish spring look. For a fun twist this season, take a chance on a bold-colored wedge to add a pop of color to your outfits.
- Sandals: Cute sandals are perfect for those warmer days when you want a fun and casual option. Select a neutral color to pair with a wide range of outfits, or accent with a fun animal print for something different. Pair spring blouses, cardigans and leggings with your sandals for a cool and breezy look.
- Flats: You can never go wrong with a trusty pair of ballet flats. Whether you prefer neutrals or opt for a bright spring color, flats make a practical addition to any outfit. If you're looking to try something new and trendy this spring, add a pair of mules to your spring collection. These shoes come in a wide variety of styles, colors and prints that you won't want to miss!
- Booties: For those cooler days, a closed-toe bootie can be a great standby shoe option. As it warms up, cut-out and peep-toe booties make excellent additions to your outfits. Pair these shoes with your dresses, jumpsuits and casual looks for a warmer option that still celebrates spring.
- Heels: Spring is a great time to find a new pair of heels for formal events. Try out fun spring colors and patterns to break up those standard black and nude heels. When you slip on a great heel, you'll elongate your legs for a flattering look and feel great doing it!
7. Spring Accessories
Accessories are always in season. When you're styling your wardrobe, bright spring accessories multiply and transform the outfit possibilities. Here are the pieces you'll want to make sure you have for this season:
- Sunglasses: Whether you're driving to work, attending sporting events or simply strolling in the park, sunglasses are a must to protect your eyes from the sunshine. When you find a cute pair of sunglasses you love, this item can be a universal accessory. From casual to formal, sunglasses can complement any spring look.
- Earrings: Spring is the perfect time to pull your hair up and show off some playful earrings. Incorporate soft spring colors with beaded, tasseled or woven earrings that tie your look together.
- Necklaces: A statement necklace can instantly add color and interest to your outfit. Try out some bold colors or trending spring hues to expand your wardrobe. Necklaces work well with virtually any outfit, so have fun and experiment!
- Headbands and scrunchie scarves: Headbands and scarves can make doing your hair a breeze. Simply toss these pieces on with your hair up or down to put together a cute look in seconds. Choose from a variety of spring prints and colors to accent those solid-colored outfits.
Plus Size Spring Outfits for Every Occasion
The true test of a wardrobe is its ability to cover all the different events and activities you may encounter. A good mix of casual, cute and fancy items will keep you prepared for any outing — no matter how last minute it may be. Here are some examples of ways you can stretch your wardrobe this season.
1. Spring Date
Plus size spring date outfits should make you feel confident and comfortable. Your clothing choice will vary based on the type of date you're having:
- Exciting and active date: Activities like go-karting and bowling warrant something comfortable and casual. Slip on some jeans or leggings for mobility and accent with a fun graphic tee. Some cute sneakers will also serve you well without jeopardizing your stylish spring ensemble.
- Low-key and fun date: Whether you're going to a karaoke bar or playing mini-golf, some dates are perfect for a cute outfit. Jeggings and a blouse work great for these occasions, and you can dress them up with fun shoes and accessories.
- Fancy date: An elegant dinner date calls for something tasteful. A little black dress or jumpsuit can be the perfect option to help you look and feel your best. Accent with a sexy pair of heels and a handbag to complete the look.
2. Office Wear
Spring office wear for plus size ladies is full of stylish potential. What you wear will likely strike a balance between your dress code, fashion sense and the office temperature. For a business professional or business casual environment, work dresses and skirts make great spring options:
- Work dresses: A work dress can either be casual or professional based on its design and your shoe pairing. For casual looks, pair dresses with a bootie or sandals. For more professional outfits, pair with heels and wedges.
- Skirts: A printed pencil skirt or flared skirt can shake up your spring office attire. Pair skirts with a tucked-in flowy blouse or thin sweater for a polished and professional look. Accent with jewelry and the shoes of your choice to make each outfit unique!
3. Spring Wedding
Finding an outfit for spring weddings can be challenging. Will it be raining on the day or sunny? Will the temperature be warm or chilly? This is where jumpsuits and formal wear shine. For those black-tie wedding invites, choose a simple cocktail dress that you can accessorize with fun shoes and accessories. If it's colder, you can add an elegant wrap or shawl.
For an all-around classy and versatile look, opt for a jumpsuit. The look is elegant enough for a wedding, but you'll still be free to kick off your heels and dance the night away!
Find Your Plus Size Spring Wardrobe Essentials at Perfectly Priscilla Boutique
Whether you need to stock up on crucial clothing items or want something fresh and new, spring is a great time to revitalize your wardrobe. At Perfectly Priscilla Boutique, we provide trendy women's plus size clothing for all seasons. Our inventory ranges from size 10 to size 26 and includes styles to flatter every curvy woman. All of our pieces are selected to fit you, flatter you and make you feel fantastic for any occasion.
If you're ready for gorgeous clothes you'll love all spring long, shop our new arrivals today!