How to Look Comfortable and Cute While Traveling
There's an art to looking cute and staying comfortable while traveling. Whether you're going on a long road trip or a quick flight, the goal is always to be as comfy as possible while still looking somewhat presentable. With the right clothes, you can look fashionable without sacrificing comfort.
This guide to looking cute and staying comfortable while traveling will tell you all the secrets to staying stylish and relaxed throughout your trip. Below, you'll discover the best types of clothes to wear when traveling, general fashion tips for looking effortlessly chic at the airport and specific travel outfit suggestions.
What to Wear While Traveling
Whenever you travel, you want to wear clothing that will enhance your trip and make it more enjoyable, not less. To achieve this goal, you'll have to wear clothes that help you feel relaxed and make traveling more convenient. Finding the clothes you feel best in that allow you to move about comfortably will make your traveling experience a happy memory.
To help your travels go as smoothly as possible, follow the five golden rules of traveling comfortably below.
1. Let Loose
If comfort is your top priority while traveling, loose-fitting clothing will be your best in-flight friend. You're already going to be a bit cramped in a small seat, so you don't want to feel crammed into your clothing, too. With the right clothes, you can still get a flattering fit without the pain of skintight fabric. Instead of skinny jeans and tight shirts, opt for less restrictive articles of clothing like loose-fit leggings and flowy blouses.
To attain maximum comfort with a slimming fit, look for breathable materials. Fabrics like cotton, linen or silk allow for ample air circulation, meaning they won't lock in sweat and dirt. If you're going to a warmer climate, you may want to consider moisture-wicking fabrics as a great way to reduce sweat.
2. Layer Up
Flying in an airplane typically places you in various conditions. From the steamy, sunny tarmac to the freezing air-conditioned cabin, you'll want to be ready to weather a range of temperatures within a few short hours. Wearing multiple layers is your best defense against this gamut of micro-climates.
Specifically, scarves, shawls, pashmina, cardigans, sweatshirts, vests, wraps and light jackets are perfect for keeping you warm during the flight yet easy to remove upon arrival. You can even use a generously sized scarf or wrap as a blanket or roll it up to serve as a pillow during a long flight. Rolling your layering items up also makes them portable and easy to squeeze into your carry-on bag if you get too warm.
As a bonus, the more layers you wear on your flight, the less you have to fit in your luggage. You can use the layers you wear while in the air for the remainder of your trip, especially if you plan on traveling through multiple climate zones. In this way, you can look forward to experiencing a far more comfortable trip overall.
3. Get Support From Compression Socks
Compression socks are often a wise choice when flying because they promote blood circulation, which helps prevent your legs from swelling. You might swell during a flight because you're sitting in one place for so long, allowing blood to begin to pool in your veins. Compression legwear helps solve this problem by applying pressure to the leg muscles to increase blood flow.
4. Keep It Simple
You'll want to wear extremely comfortable, flat shoes whenever you travel. After sitting on a plane for hours, your feet will have to support you through walking through the airport, standing in lines, taking public transportation and more until you finally arrive at your destination. Do your feet a favor and wear shoes that make them feel good, not cramped or strained.
Along with being comfortable, you'll want shoes that are easy to slip on and off to make getting through airport security a breeze. Slip-on shoes will allow you to get through security quickly and efficiently without holding up the line.
5. Pick Pockets
When in doubt, choose pants with pockets. It's virtually impossible to have too many pockets when traveling because you never know when you'll need to quickly store a ticket stub, pre-flight coffee receipt or any other loose item before boarding. Look for pants and jackets with plenty of pockets, preferably those that zip shut for some added security. Nowadays, you can even find leggings with pockets deep enough to hold your smartphone.
How to Look Cute While Traveling
While the five tips listed above will help you stay comfortable while traveling, following them doesn't mean you have to toss style out the window. You can be comfortable and look stunning no matter how far you're flying. You'll find plenty of functional, fashionable clothing options.
Here are five secrets to selecting chic travel clothes that will still keep you comfortable.
1. Find Comfy Substitutes
If you're traveling for work and need to look professional as soon as you land, you can make some clothing substitutes that allow you to preserve style while prioritizing comfort. Check out these tips for appearing completely pulled together while secretly being super comfy.
- Purchase a pair of faux leather leggings. These are perfect business travel attire because you can dress them up to look more polished while still enjoying all the comfort leggings provide.
- If you'd rather wear jeans, find a stretchy pair featuring a soft waistband. Softer jeans allow you to stay relaxed while looking a bit more dressed up. You can also consider swapping out traditional jeans for a flexible pair of jeggings.
- Depending on the top you choose, you may need to think about the neckline slipping down and exposing your bra straps. Instead of wearing an uncomfortable strapless bra, go for a cute bralette with elegant lacy straps.
- If you feel you must wear heels, put on a pair of wedges instead of pumps or platforms. Wedges are more comfortable because they keep the front and back of the shoe balanced in height.
2. Dress Up
Stay in vogue while in the air by wearing a flowy, soft-fabric dress. Flowy dresses are on-trend and equally comfortable, making them the perfect option for traveling in style. Get a dress made from soft materials to give yourself an extra boost of comfort. You can also pair your dress with soft knit tights or leggings to make your flight even more comfortable.
More specifically, wearing a comfortable black dress to travel opens up a wide range of options for different occasions once you land. Because black dresses are so versatile, you can style yours for day or night activities. For a more informal look, you can wear a lightweight jacket and sneakers with your black dress. For a fancier setting, you can complement your black dress with jewelry and heels.
3. Blend Into Your Environment
To fit in while you're on your trip, you'll want to wear attire that matches the overall vibe of your destination. For example, if you're going on an island vacation, dress in something light, tropical and brightly colored. On the other hand, stick with darker colors like black, gray, charcoal and navy if you're heading to an urban destination. When in doubt, white and beige are versatile colors that fit with nearly every environment.
4. Stick With Solids
Preparing for a trip means you've got a limited amount of space to work with. You'll want to make the most of your suitcase real estate by packing solid-colored clothes that are easy to mix and match with other pieces of clothing. You can save on valuable suitcase space by wearing solid colors on the plane as well.
Keep in mind that most of the clothes you bring should be basics like dark jeans, a black shirt, a cute skirt and other fundamental pieces. These types of clothes can also easily transition from day activities to night activities. For instance, a plain tank top can be the perfect shirt for exploring the city during the day when paired with shorts and the ideal shirt for going out to dinner when tucked into a skirt and topped off with a cardigan. This strategy will save you from packing an entirely different set of clothes for each activity you plan on doing.
After you've packed enough of the essentials, you can fill whatever space you have left with statement pieces. Bring a couple of fun, patterned or bold-colored blouses to lend a pop of color to any outfit. Of course, you can also include some printed pants or shorts if you have extra room.
Just because your travel wardrobe will consist primarily of basics doesn't mean you can't include a bit of pizzazz. You can dress up your travel outfits with any combination of earrings, necklaces, bracelets, scarves, hats, handbags, sunglasses or other accessories. Wearing your accessories on the plane can save you packing space and prevent your favorite statement pieces from getting damaged in transit.
The best part about accessories is that you don't need many to complete your packing list. For example, a pair of silver studs or a simple necklace can dress up nearly any combination of clothes. With just a few stylish accessories, you can transform simple outfits into show-stopping ensembles.
Comfortable Travel Outfits
Now that you know which types of clothes are best for traveling, it's time to talk about travel outfit details. Here are all the items you need to put together the perfect plane outfit.
- Shirt: Try to wear a light, loose-fitting shirt whenever you travel. Keeping your bottom layer thin ensures you won't get too hot or uncomfortable on the plane. Pick a solid-colored shirt so you can easily match it with your pants and layer it with another piece.
- Pants: When traveling in style, chic and comfortable pants are a secret weapon. Plain black leggings are your best bet for looking cute without sacrificing your comfort. Black leggings are stretchy, flexible, flattering and go with everything. As a bonus, you'll get to re-wear them often throughout your trip.
- Outer layer: You'll want to wear a versatile outer layer to travel, depending on your destination and the time of year. Even if you won't need a heavy coat where you're going, you'll still want to wear a light layer like a blazer, kimono or cardigan. Choose an outer layer that matches nearly everything and can seamlessly transition from a day to night look.
- Scarf: When you wear a convertible scarf or shawl while traveling, you can also use it as a blanket if necessary. Depending on your scarf's size, you can transform it into a blanket, shawl, cardigan, infinity scarf, hood and other fashionable options. Look for a scarf made from breathable, sweat-wicking fabric so you don't overheat during your trip.
- Hat: Whenever you're traveling, you'll want a hat that suits the climate. The right hat can either keep you warm on cooler days or provide shade when the sun is at its peak. You can also wear a hat as a quick cover-up to a bad hair day. Even on good hair days, you can use a hat to transform your outfit and elevate your entire look.
- Shoes: For traveling, you'll want a pair of highly walkable, breathable shoes that are easy to slip off and on. While you probably don't want an open-toed shoe or sandal, you can find many variations of casual sneakers. Such fashionable sneakers are usually lightweight and comfortable enough that you don't even need to wear socks with them.
- Personal item: If you're flying, you'll need a cute bag for all your carry-on essentials. Though there are many totes to consider, using a slim backpack will allow you to have your hands free and optimize your legroom. If you're traveling for business, look for a bag with a laptop compartment and pockets that zip so you can be confident your valuables are secure.
Get Cute and Comfortable Travel Clothes From Perfectly Priscilla
If you're going on a trip and need cute, trendy travel clothes, Perfectly Priscilla has what you're looking for. At Perfectly Priscilla, we provide chic, flattering and high-quality clothes in exclusive styles and sizes. We believe in selling boutique clothing for women of all sizes, so everyone can feel beautiful.
You can fully prepare for your next big adventure by filling your wardrobe with unique items from Perfectly Priscilla. From basic tops and bottoms to elegant dresses, accessories and everything in between, we have whatever you need to travel the globe in style. Get ready for your next trip by browsing the extensive catalog of fashion-forward clothes from Perfectly Priscilla today.
If you're interested in learning more about Perfectly Priscilla, contact us online or give us a call at 229-469-9627.