Guide to Choosing the Best Handbag for You
A handbag is a staple accessory. Beyond holding a person's most essential items, purses can reflect that individual's taste and way of life. You can use a bag to tie together an outfit or to make a bold fashion statement.
When you're ready to add a new purse to your collection, some key considerations will help you make the right purchase. We're breaking down everything you need to know when choosing a bag and some useful tips for making the best buying decision.
You can find handbags in a wide range of shapes and styles. Before buying something new, it can be helpful to take inventory of what you already have in your closet and decide if there is a style you'd like to add.
Assessing your lifestyle is another great way to narrow down your choices. If you're someone who is always on the go and you carry a laptop around, you'll probably want a different bag style than someone who wants to carry only their phone, keys and wallet with them.
Some of the most popular bag styles include:
- Clutch: This purse is usually compact and has either removable or no straps attached. They typically hold just the essentials and are ideal for a night out or a special occasion.
- Crossbody: A bag with a longer strap that extends from the shoulder to the opposite hip is often called a crossbody.
- Messenger: As a practical option, messenger bags can hold a lot of items. They can function as a hybrid of a backpack and a laptop carrier.
- Slouchy: A slouchy bag is always in style. This type does not have a lot of structure, and you can dress it up or dress it down.
- Shoulder: These bags typically have a handle or strap that fits comfortably over the shoulder while the bag hangs under your arm.
- Tote: If you like to carry a lot with you, a tote bag is the way to go. They are usually on the larger side and are perfect for busy days spent out and about.
Size is a very important factor when choosing a purse. Buying a new bag is a great opportunity to take inventory of the items you always carry with you and how much space you'll need for them.
Consider the following when asking yourself what size purse you should carry:
- Small: If you like to bring only the essentials, consider a small handbag. They're usually big enough to fit your phone and wallet. In some cases, you can even fit a book or compact notebook in a small purse.
- Medium: A medium bag is ideal for anyone who likes to have a little extra room in their bags for items such as a snack or a tablet.
- Large: For those people who are always on the go and need to carry around a lot of items like workout gear or a mini umbrella, a large purse is often the best idea.
As you explore different handbag options, pay close attention to the materials they are made from.
The following are common fabrics and materials used for handbags:
- Faux leather
Consider your lifestyle and what options will be easiest for you to take care of. Take a look at the bag's hardware, too. You'll want to choose something that goes well with the other accessories you like to wear. For example, you may want a handbag with gold hardware if you love wearing gold jewelry because it will look more cohesive.
Storage is another valuable factor to think about when buying a new handbag. The purse's size will determine how much stuff can go inside, but its compartments will impact its organization.
If you like your bag to be neat, look for options that have some internal structure and dividers or pockets. Consider if you want zippers or clasps for certain compartments, too. If you keep any valuable items in your handbag, a zipper might be a must for you.
Before buying a brand-new purse, choose one that'll be comfortable and make you feel confident. The handbag's design will determine how it feels when you are carrying it.
Some considerations to keep in mind include:
- Straps and handles: Pick a bag with straps or handles that feel secure and comfortable on your body.
- Materials and size: Think of how a bag's size and materials will impact your ability to wear it comfortably. You probably don't want anything too heavy or bulky on an everyday basis.
- Your items: You will also want to factor in the weight of all the items you'll be toting around. If you tend to overpack your handbag, consider a smaller size that limits how much you can carry.
Remember, comfort is key!
3 Tips for Choosing the Right Handbag for You
Here are some helpful tips for finding the perfect handbag:
1. Find the Highest-Quality Bag in Your Price Range
A handbag can go through a lot of wear, especially if it is your go-to choice. When choosing the best handbag for everyday use, consider investing in one made of durable materials. Materials like leather and nylon should last you a long time.
You can opt for more delicate fabrics if you plan on using the bag for special occasions only. The trick is to choose the highest-quality option you can afford so your bag lasts for years to come.
2. Choose a Color That Goes Well With Your Wardrobe
There are no rules when it comes to choosing a new handbag, and you should feel empowered to pick whatever color or print speaks to you. But a good starting point is your existing wardrobe — think about how the bag will pair with your other pieces.
You don't have to buy a neutral bag by any means. Just be sure to pick a color that you won't get sick of and that complements your other clothes and accessories. A handbag is a staple accessory in every closet, after all.
3. Go With What You Like
Fashion is about self-expression, and handbags are no different. Instead of buying according to what is cool and trendy, select a bag that resonates with you and your unique style. The best handbags are the ones that reflect the people wearing them. That might be a fun plaid pattern or a unique texture — whatever you choose, pick something you'll love to use!
Browse Quality Handbags From Perfectly Priscilla
The right handbag will elevate your wardrobe and make your life easier. At Perfectly Priscilla, we are all about feeling comfortable while looking fashionable. That's why we offer high-quality clothing and accessories for everyone, no matter their size or shape.
We have a wide selection of stylish handbags, like beaded clutches, chic tote bags and more. Whether you're looking for the best everyday bag or something extra playful for an upcoming event, we have fabulous options for every occasion.
Are you ready to find your next go-to bag? Shop handbags from Perfectly Priscilla today!