Fall Wardrobe Essentials for Plus-Sized Women
Fall is a gorgeous season of change. Leaves burst with shades of red, yellow and orange and swirl across the streets in strong autumn gusts. The morning sun welcomes a slight chill, and frost sheaths grass in silvery sage. As the weather transitions with stunning displays of beauty, your wardrobe is sure to follow.
Classic fall attire incorporates sweaters, scarves and boots for warm and cozy looks. However, this year's fall fashion trends for plus-sized women have even more variety and style to offer. When building your fall wardrobe, it's helpful to keep in mind that the cool fall temperatures may still give way to an occasional warm day. A collection of essential fall wardrobe staples will help you navigate the changing temperatures with style.
Here are some of the colors, prints, styles, accessories and more the watch for this season.
Stunning Fall Color Trends
Fall colors revolve around the many hues we see in nature throughout this season — think deep reds, earthy oranges and rich greens. These trendy warm tones pair well with a variety of cool-toned pants and accessories, making your fall wardrobe both versatile and diverse.
The following are some of the colors we love this fall:
- Rust orange: Sometimes called "burnt orange" this color is a smoky orange-red. The dark muted tones in rust orange are earthy and neutral. Some neutrals blend into your skin tone, but rust orange won't. This color makes a calm statement of its own and matches a variety of colors and prints.
- Hunter green: This deep green emulates the hue of an evergreen tree or emerald stone. Its rich and luxurious tone makes a statement in any piece of clothing. In small doses, it makes a bold accent. In a blouse or cardigan, hunter green takes center stage.
- Mauve: As a pale purple with a gray tint, mauve is a delicate and feminine color. Its neutral tones are versatile and pair well with a variety of colors and styles. Match mauve with other neutrals or accent with deeper colors to exercise its full range of style.
- Burgundy: A deep red-brown with a slight purple tint, burgundy conjures the same sumptuous feeling as a glass of wine or a bold lipstick. This warm color makes an elegant accent or centerpiece in your wardrobe. Burgundy's brown tones match well with a range of neutral browns, but its purple tones lend it to a host of warm colors.
As far as fall essentials go, these colors fit the bill. And many fashion designers agree! Each year, the Pantone Color Institute compiles a list of some of the top colors designers feature at New York Fashion Week. The fall palette for 2019 boasted a variety of shades in the red, burgundy, peach, orange, navy and deep green families. This palette mixes classic fall hues with some brighter, spunky accents to create a well-rounded and fun combination of colors.
Of course, trendy colors don't dictate what you should and should not wear this fall. If you feel most confident in lilac, by all means, rock that purple sweater! While you shop for and style outfits this season, you'll likely see lots of pieces in rust orange, hunter green, mauve and burgundy. If you love these colors, wear them to your heart's content! If not, perhaps this could be the time to try something out of your comfort zone. Start small with an accessory or bold shoe to expand your closet's range.
Bold Print and Textile Trends
Striking prints, patterns and textiles can take your outfits to the next level. Here are some of the best materials trends to try out this fall.
1. Animal Print
Channel your wild side with snake and leopard print this season. These wild patterns spice up a demure fall color scheme and make a statement in your outfit. Depending on your experience with animal print, trying out a snake or leopard print top may feel too adventurous at first. If this is the case, start small with a printed boot, scarf or purse. Use the print to accentuate solid-colored pieces and add visual interest to your outfit. Snakeskin prints often come in light, neutral browns, which can serve as a staple for many outfits. Shake things up this year by swapping out your typical brown boot for a snakeskin print instead!
2. Faux Leather
Leather is a ubiquitous symbol of edgy and bold style. So how could that fit with fall's warm and cozy vibe? Faux leather's texture contrasts from many of the soft fabrics and colors used in fall style. This contrast actually serves to play up the fall look by adding visual diversity and practical versatility. Sure, you could dust off that black jacket and use it in place of a cardigan. But faux leather products extend beyond the classic black biker jacket. Explore a selection of leather pants, leggings and boots in black and brown that complement any outfit. Faux leather pieces also transition brilliantly from a day look to a dressy night look, making them a worthwhile purchase.
3. Color-Blocked Patterns
Polka dots, plaid and floral patterns all have their place among popular fashion. But this fall trend takes a more streamlined approach. Color-blocked patterns employ large blocks of colors to add variety that isn't busy or overwhelming. Color-blocked cardigans, sweaters and tops typically incorporate large stripes of color and pair well with a variety of outfits. If you're in love with trendy fall colors and can't decide which to wear, color-blocking eliminates the need to pick! These pieces have enough interest to wear on their own, but they aren't so busy that you can't add a stylish necklace or scarf.
Fall Fashion Trends
When you're forced to put away your shorts, dresses and tank tops, you may feel like your outfits repeat a stale combination of jeans and a cardigan. A little creativity and the right wardrobe pieces can break this cycle and reinvigorate your outfits with the variety you crave. While you're hunting for fall clothes for plus-sized women, keep an eye out for these four clothing trends.
1. Cozy Chic Tops
At its core, fall is a season for curling up in soft pajamas with a fuzzy blanket, a warm drink and a book. What if you could harness that comfy feeling and infuse it into an outfit you'd want to wear to the grocery store? This is the heart of the cozy chic trend. Picture sweaters, turtlenecks and cardigans that are soft, stretchy, warm and fashionable. That's cozy chic. These tops use combinations of polyester, spandex and cotton to create fabrics that feel like you're wearing a blanket. If you're looking for a top so comfortable you'd willingly wear it to bed, shop this trend. You can use your finds as pajamas and daytime fashion — we won't tell!
2. Statement Sweaters
The classic crew neck sweater is a classic for a reason. As a blank canvas, you can dress it up with scarves, jewelry, vests and more. Statement sweaters shatter this standard with bold details that speak for themselves. These sweaters make a statement in multiple ways, including chunky sleeves, sexy cutouts, lace detailing or ruffled hems. As stylish hybrids, these sweaters combine the unique structural elements typically reserved for a blouse with the warmth of thicker sweater fabric. You can accessorize these pieces with a necklace or scarf, but you don't have to! Their eye-catching designs do the talking.
3. Jeans With a Flair
Flared jeans are one of the biggest pant trends this season. Yes, those bell-bottomed wonders that were so popular in the 1960s have made their way back to main-stream fashion! Most flared jeans are fitted through the hips and knees and flare from the knee downward. This style gives the appearance of elongated legs, and it also accentuates your curves! Unlike the '60s, you don't have to pair flared jeans with tie-dye and paisley prints. Long tunic tops or cardigans channel a bohemian vibe and make a great lightweight option for those warmer fall days. Pop on a pair of heeled boots to complete a groovy look with flared jeans.
In addition to flares, frayed edges in place of traditional hems is another jean trend making waves this season. Frayed edges incorporate a distressed look into your outfit without the use of large holes. If you love to pair your jeans with booties but dislike rolling up the ends of your jeans into cuffs, the frayed edge may be your new favorite. Leave it as is when styling jeans with booties and enjoy both the convenience and style it offers!
4. Oversized Cardigans
You really can't go wrong with a cardigan in the fall. It's stylish, cozy and it allows you to layer for unpredictable weather. One fun take on the classic cardigan is oversized cardigans. Most cardigan hemlines fall at your hips or upper-thigh. Oversized cardigans can extend to your mid-thigh or as long as mid-calf. Imagine draping yourself in a soft blanket and getting compliments on it all day. That's what it's like to wear an oversized cardigan! For a breezier look and feel, opt for a thin cardigan. To stay warm in the crisp fall air, choose a mid-weight cardigan.
An oversized cardigan may be one of the most versatile pieces in your wardrobe. It pairs well with booties or tall boots, and when it warms up in the spring, you can wear it over dresses. Select a color or pattern that matches a variety of tops and dresses to get the most mileage out of your cardigan!
Creative Shoe Trends
Wedges, sandals and heels are undeniably fun. If you mourn the loss of these flirty staples during fall and winter, we're with you. Fall is the perfect time to break out your boots, but you'll probably get tired of wearing one or two pairs with every outfit. The following fall trends are here to spice up a stale shoe rotation with the perfect amount of comfort and variety.
1. Unique Boots and Booties
A classic boot or bootie can be essential for your fall wardrobe. One of this season's trends is to add unique touches to these classics for a fun look that is still functional.
Here are some of the unique bootie trends we love this season:
- Cutouts: Bootie cutouts create interest and add a cute touch to your footwear. They come in a variety of styles, from small and subtle to bold and eye-catching. A common cutout option includes stylistic "V" cuts in the front or sides of the bootie. Bolder cutouts include peekaboos on the side or back of the bootie with a range of stylistic embellishments like straps or bows. Whether you prefer something more subdued or eccentric, you're sure to find a bootie to match.
- Bold colors: Brown, black and neutral booties have their place within your wardrobe, but bold colors are in this fall! Olive green, bright red and navy booties add an atypical pop of color to your outfit. You may be hesitant to try out a bold boot color for fear you won't have the right clothes to match. However, olive green, red and navy are popular enough that many of the pieces you'll find in stores either contain these colors or match them. Give a bold-colored bootie a chance this season to add adorable variety to your outfits.
- Wedges: Love the comfort and dressy touch your summer wedges provide? You don't have to give that up this fall! Wedged booties are in and available this season. Like a classic wedge, wedged booties give you a little bit of height without the discomfort of typical heels. A wedged bootie typically includes a closed toe, meaning you can stay warm while still enjoying one of your fashion favorites. These shoes pair seamlessly with your favorite skinny jeans or leggings for a look with equal parts class and comfort.
Booties aren't the only classic shoe in the spotlight this fall! Here are some of the unique boot trends we love this season:
- Over-the-knee: If you're looking for one of the hottest shoe trends this fall, over-the-knee boots may be it. Instead of stopping below the knee, these shoes extend up and over the knee for an extra stunning touch. Most pairs are made from stretchy material and include an adjustable tie at the top to fit securely over every leg size and shape. Over-the-knee boots come with a variety of heel sizes from flat to stiletto, so you can choose what works best for you. These boots add a sultry twist to any outfit. Wear them over skinny jeans or leggings with your favorite fall tops for a unique take on tall boots. As an added bonus, you can wear these boots with dresses before it gets chilly for extra warmth that doesn't require pants or tights.
- Wedges: Wedged boots are in this season, and they provide every bit as much comfort as you might expect. From small wedges to high wedges, there's a tall wedged boot to suit your preferences and style. Pair them with dresses before it gets cool, and then rock them with jeans and leggings! The wedge gives these shoes a versatile edge. They're comfortable enough for everyday wear, but still dressy enough for a date night!
2. Wedge Sneakers
Sneakers are a must when you're on the go and need a functional shoe. However, it can be difficult to find a sneaker that successfully blends comfort with style. You don't want to wear your gym shoes with a sweater, but sometimes heeled booties just aren't comfortable enough! This is where wedge sneakers shine. Their slight heel gives you a boost and makes the overall shoe look sleek and classy. But at its heart, a wedge sneaker is still a sneaker. Wear it with jeans and a casual sweatshirt, or pair it with a cardigan. If you'll be on your feet for extended periods but you want to rock a fall trend, try out a pair of wedge sneakers!
When Marilyn Monroe popularized mules in the 1950s, they became an iconic shoe design that trended in and out of fashion throughout the rest of the 20th century. This fall, mules are back in style and offer a unique alternative to your classic bootie.
The most prominent feature of mules is their backless design. With a heel, they appear like heeled booties without the material that wraps around the back of your foot. As a flat, they often bear a loafer-like design without the typical heel covering. Fall is the perfect time to try out these shoes that allow your feet to breathe while still providing a good amount of warmth. Style mules with fall outfits like you would booties or boots for a trendy look that switches things up!
Fall Accessory Trends
Accessories are one of the simplest ways to dress up an outfit and add a personal touch. Fall is notorious for scarves, scarves and more scarves. While a classic scarf can add color and interest to your outfit, it may prove to be too warm while the seasons change. Scarves may also appear bulky and hide your full-busted figure. Here are some trendy alternatives to add to your wardrobe this fall.
1. A Modern Twist on Scarves
Scrunchies definitely aren't new, but scrunchie scarfs add a modern twist to an '80s gem. Imagine a scrunchie with a dainty hair scarf attached — it's convenient and cute! Scrunchies won't leave a dent in your hair when you remove them after extended wear, and a hair scarf that's already attached to a scrunchie won't untie and fall off. When you need to throw your hair up in a ponytail or bun, scrunchie scarves add a feminine touch to your updo. Use them casually at home to keep your hair out of the way and wear them out for errands without ever having to think about your hair!
2. Fringed and Beaded Jewelry
Statement earrings and necklaces are staple accessories for every fall outfit. A growing jewelry trend this fall departs from classic metal with bright fringes and intricate beadwork.
Here's what you need to know while you're shopping this trend:
- Fringe: Many of this season's earring and necklace styles incorporate colored fringes into their design. This can be the perfect way to wear this fall's popular colors like burgundy, rust orange and green. Some styles attach a long fringe to metal hoops, while others stack the fringe in short tiers. Because the fringe materials are lightweight, the jewelry won't feel heavy while you wear it. Opt for colors and lengths that accentuate both your wardrobe and lifestyle for ultimate style and practicality!
- Beadwork: Beaded necklaces and earrings introduce a striking texture variation into your ensemble. This medium plays with colors, tiers and shapes to showcase eye-catching, multi-faceted creations. Though beaded pieces may feel a little heavier than those with fringe, they won't weigh you down. Try out this trend for a show-stopping look.
Shop Plus Sized Fall Clothing Trends at Perfectly Priscilla Boutique
As the seasons change and nature welcomes the colors and coolness of fall, your wardrobe will also change. At Perfectly Priscilla Boutique, we're ready to accommodate. We've curated plus-sized fall essentials to fit your body and accentuate your best assets! Shop our collection of sweaters, jeans, shoes, accessories and more to get the fall look you love. While you make your fall haul, enjoy free shipping on orders over $50 in the United States.
Check out PPB's new arrivals today!