Cute Winter Outfits for Plus Size Women
If you believe winter means having to wear anything and everything in your closet just to keep warm as you rush out to do last-minute Christmas shopping – think again! There are an infinite number of cute winter outfits for plus size women that you can rock in true diva style, whether it’s attending a holiday office party, a candlelit dinner with your sweetie by the fireplace, or singing carols with friends on a snowy night. In this article, we’ll explore winter fashion trends in 2018, including the winter wardrobe essentials every trend-savvy fashionista must have in her closet! Whether you’re looking for stylish layering tips for winter, trying to figure out how to style long coats with your favorite ensemble, or simply shopping for professional winter work outfits, we’ve created a virtual cheat-sheet of outfit ideas for plus size women, no matter what your personal style! Here are just a few plus-size winter outfit suggestions to get your fashion-trend bonfire crackling with ideas:
Dress For The Season
There’s nothing more jolly during the holiday season than opting for eye-catching plus-size winter dresses in gorgeous shades of red and green to celebrate your festive fashionista. Whether you’re attending a New Year’s Eve gala or sipping hot cocoa with friends over the winter break, we’ve put together a stunning assortment of party and cocktail dresses for every occasion. If you’re searching for something sassy, our Take Me Out Dress in red will quickly become your go-to frock for fancy affairs all season long. Accentuate this show-stopper with glitzy rhinestone or pearl-studded tassel earrings and a statement necklace for a dazzling holiday ensemble that’s sure to make you the belle of the ball! Complete your look with a white faux-fur stole for an elegant yet vintage aesthetic that’s sure to garner some attention.
For the bohemian set, you’ll adore our All The Love Embroidered Dress in green and mustard – featuring luxurious golden-hued embroidery on a deep evergreen dress, this flirty yet flattering number is a great holiday ensemble for fashionistas who celebrate the season in warmer climates. Pair with western-style cowboy boots in a neutral shade for a whimsical look that’s sure to get you noticed, whether you’re attending a family reunion or an evening out with your coworkers. For a more urban vibe, this plus-size dress can also be paired with simple gold hoops, matte black tights, a faux-leather cropped jacket and black patent-leather ballet shoes for even more cute winter styles!
Look Cute In Cardigans
There’s no doubt about it: 2018 is mad for plaid! This season, opt for bold yet feminine plaid cardigans and layer on your personal style with this on-trend pattern. If you’re searching for unique winter styles for plus size women, may we suggest our You Make It Easy Plaid Cardigan in navy – featuring a sophisticated yet flattering cut in cool shades of navy, plum and mauve, this cardi will keep you toasty & looking fabulous during the frigid months!
We also love our On The Scene Lace Cardigan in teal – boasting a rich jewel-toned teal that’s reminiscent of the cooler temps, this romantic layering piece is sure to become one of your wardrobe staples this winter. Featuring a sheer lace upper bodice with a stunning floral pattern, this silhouette-savvy cardi boasts elegant tailoring throughout, including a peplum-inspired detail at the waist and belled sleeves for even more dramatic flair. Layered over a cream three-quarter length piko top and form-fitting leggings burgundy, the styling options for this exquisite cardigan are virtually endless!
Snow Bunny Sweaters & Tops
Channel your inner snow-bunny this season with our inspired array of warm and cozy sweaters. Ideal for layering on those chilly nights, we’ve amassed a trendy array of ready-to-wear winter gear for even the most discriminating fashionistas. Below, a few of our customer favorites:
- Just Say When: Reminiscent of glass of merlot, our Just Say When Sweater in wine is a luscious shade of garnet that’s flattering for all skin tones. This cozy yet flattering sweater is sure to become your go-to top when you’re searching for the perfect pop of red over the holiday season! Featuring a slimming silhouette and figure-flattering drape, this is a must-have in every serious fashionista’s wardrobe this winter. We suggest pairing with on-trend tortoise shell earrings, sleek black jeggings and over-the-knee boots for a night on the town!
- Tell Me About It: Turn up the heat this winter with this sizzling sweater – featuring a sexy neckline feature and charming stitched detailing along the side seams, this luxe ladies’ sweater is where it’s at this season! We suggest pairing this curve-hugging beauty with a pair of merlot-hued leggings and a kicky pair of mules for a look that’s sure to dazzle. Tie your look together with a loose up-do and a pair of chunky bauble-inspired earrings and you’re ready for anything!
- Born To Be Yours: For fashionistas looking for a top that’s a bit out-of-the-ordinary, our Born To Be Yours top in olive was designed with you in mind! With its colorful print and dramatic belled sleeves, you’re sure to garner attention in this unique plus-sized blouse. Featuring the shades of the season in earthy tones of olive, vibrant crimson and gold, this one-of-a-kind patterned top is perfect for casual holiday outings and is equally at home for the office or a weekend getaway. We suggest pairing with skinny jeans or jeggings and a chunky wedged bootie for a look you’ll enjoy flaunting all winter long!
Jingle Bells: On-Trend Sleeve Styles
The bells will be ringing this holiday season across town – and on the arms of trend-savvy fashionistas everywhere! This winter, belled sleeves reign supreme as one of 2018’s hottest styles. Check out these fashionable tops, cardigans, and blouses, featuring this year’s on-trend look for ladies:
- Capture My Heart: Add some allure to your outfit with this eye-catching embroidered top! Constructed of breezy 100% cotton, this unique tunic-styled shirt boasts a belled detail at the sleeves and is available in a rich chocolate brown with a vibrant teal embroidered floral pattern. We suggest pairing with coordinating leggings and a chic pair of boots for a striking ensemble that transitions seamlessly from day to evening!
- Keep It Together: It’s easy to shine in this romantically ruffled cardigan, another Perfectly Priscilla exclusive. With its romantic belled sleeve detail and flattering silhouette, this ultra-feminine sweater is ideal for layering all year long. Available in a soft shade of creamy ivory, this neutral cardi will quickly become a staple in your wardrobe – pairs beautifully with leggings, jeans, and even your favorite dress or skirt ensemble.
- Under A Spell: If you’re seeking something sultry, this black top definitely fits the bill! Featuring a choker-style neckline, lace panel detailing along the neckline and a keyhole cut-out for added mystique, this bewitching blouse is a symphony in symmetry. You’ll love the belled sleeves and figure-flattering drape – ideal for evenings out, we suggest pairing with leggings for a more refined look, or dress it down with jeggings for a more casual vibe.
Luxurious Layers: Fashion-Savvy Tips For Winter
Winter is such a fun season to dress for, but sometimes, just like in the summertime, you end up either too cold or too hot once you reach your destination. Fashionistas that are informed of fashion trends know that the trick to keeping comfy and looking fabulous is – yep, you guessed it – luxe layers! Always opt for plus size winter outfits that involve either simple or complex layering of your clothes, whether it involves a camisole under an open-weave sweater or piling on a decorative scarf over your favorite embroidered tunic. Layering is more of an art than a science – by being resourceful, you can usually rummage through your closet and use what you have on hand to create an inspired ensemble. We suggest choosing separates that can easily coordinate for an endless variety of mix-and-match layering options.
For example, purchase wardrobe staples in your favorite solids – if you’re not a fan of black, you may want to consider brown, navy or even a deep shade of green as your base color. Choose basics – such as several pairs of leggings, solid camisoles, long and short-sleeved shirts, and sweaters – as your ‘essential’ wardrobe staples. From there, you can ‘build’ your outfit: add a patterned piece for visual interest, opt for color blocking, or simply wear accessories such as a funky hat, chunky jewelry (think bangles, bejeweled pendant necklaces and statement earrings) or patterned tights to complete your ensemble. Much like the architecture of a house, a coordinated look is only as pulled-together as the foundation of basics it is built upon.
Once you’ve mastered the art of winter dressing, you will learn to layer your clothes in a manner that is not only practical for the weather, but highlights (not hides) your curvy silhouette. You also can use layers to cover up when you are outside and reveal your silhouette as you remove your coat or a bulky sweater, which are usually on the top layer or two. Remember: when wearing layers, it’s all in the details! If you’re wearing a top coat, you can jazz up your attire with a brooch or a decorative silk scarf for maximum impact.
While you are out and about, don’t forget that the colder months are a great time for having fun with hosiery – wearing a whimsical pair of socks with your boots can always brighten your mood during the gloomy months of winter. When you’re feeling a bit more glamorous, opaque tights in a variety of colors and textures are a fashionable option during fall and early winter. Once the deep freeze has set in, fleece-lined tights can easily extend your wardrobe, as you can wear under dresses and skirts that require an extra layer of warmth.
Ultimately, finding a look that works for you requires not only a degree of creativity, but a certain amount of experimentation. Don’t be afraid to try new things – although most of us tend to be creatures of habit, you can make small tweaks to your wardrobe that can have a big impact on your ensemble. Lay out your winter clothing on your bed and see if you can come up with some new combinations – sometimes, you may find you can go ‘shopping’ in your own closet! By pairing a few new items – whether it’s a bold pair of printed leggings, a brightly-colored poncho or even a designer handbag – you can reinvigorate your existing wardrobe by adding a couple of key pieces.
Here are a few do’s and don’ts for curvy girls you may want to consider when dressing in layers this winter:
- Play With Color: Adding an unexpected splash of color – especially in the bleak months of winter – can be not only attractive, but provide you with a visual pick-me-up. If you’re not feeling daring enough to wear a very bright hue, take baby steps – you may wish to have a single pop color, be it an all-black outfit with a deep blue poncho. As a general rule of thumb, don’t be shy with color – pastels and neutrals may be more your speed, and there’s plenty of lovely paler shades for those who prefer a more subtle palette.
- Experiment With Patterns: This season, it’s all about patterns – be it plaid, animal prints, polka dots or stripes, patterns not only add pizazz, but can transform your look from dull to dashing! However, unless you’re going for a really edgy look, don’t wear too many patterns at once – less is always more when layering with prints and patterned fabrics.
- Layer With Care: As we’ve discussed, layering is somewhat of an art form – you don’t want to just pile on random articles of clothing. Choose silhouettes that work with one another. For example, if you’re wearing a cold-shoulder shirt, be sure that the layer worn over it has long sleeves – wearing a sleeveless vest can look awkward and ill-fitting. For styling long or short coats, be sure that the shirt or blouse you’re wearing underneath it is shorter than the coat – wearing a tunic or top that is much longer than the coat length tends to look sloppy. Also, balance is key when creating a figure-flattering outfit – avoid wearing clothing that’s either too baggy or too tight on your top and bottom layer. For example, if you’re wearing loose, flowing palazzo pants, opt for a more streamlined top; if you’re wearing a slouchy sweater, choose leggings or skinny jeans to complement your look.
Know Your Body Type: Finally, dress for your figure – with so many fashionable options, curvy girls don’t need to hide their physique! Don’t opt for baggy, shapeless or oversized clothing; this will only make you appear bigger and detract from your sexy curves and waist. Instead, determine your body type (in other words, if you’re a pear-shape, apple shape, or hourglass) and dress accordingly. If you happen to be very busty, be sure to find a bra that supports you in order to ensure your clothing fits properly. If you’re thicker around the mid-section, tunic style blouses may be the most flattering option for you. For shorter women, try to avoid very long styles (such as maxi dresses, which can make you appear even shorter and not flatter your figure). If you can, find a good tailor in the event that you need your clothing altered (such as pants or skirts hemmed) – this is particularly important if you work in a corporate environment, as ill-fitting garments can project a less-than-professional appearance. Overall, finding your personal aesthetic can be achieved through trial and error, but always remember to enjoy the journey, be comfortable in your own skin – and own your curves!