Capsule Wardrobes: Get More With Less
We've all had those mornings where nothing in our wardrobe speaks to us. It seems like you've worn every possible combination of clothes in your closet dozens of times. And, any new pairing you try doesn't seem to work.
If you're tired of wasting your clothes because nothing goes together, or you want to make getting dressed much easier, you'll want to know about capsule wardrobes. This guide will teach you everything you need to know about capsule wardrobes, from which benefits they offer to what to put in one. Learn more about this efficient trend below!
What Is a Capsule Wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe contains pieces that go together in various combinations that you love wearing. These are pieces you buy intentionally rather than impulsively, while thinking about how they'll fit in with what you already have. A capsule wardrobe could contain simple pieces, whether they're solid or neutral or have minimal embellishments and a simple shape. The goal is to get clothing that will combine into dozens of fresh outfits that you like and want to wear. When you make a capsule wardrobe, you're getting a closet that's:
- Versatile: A capsule wardrobe should take you from the workplace to the weekend with versatile pieces. You should be able to create various outfits with a handful of items in your closet, dressing them up or down as needed.
- Timeless: You want pieces that will last a long time in your capsule wardrobe. That longevity applies to both the garments' quality and the timelessness of their style. But that doesn't mean you can't participate in current trends, either!
- Mix-and-matchable: Colors for a capsule wardrobe don't have to be all neutrals, but there should be timeless hues that go together well. You could also have fun with some patterns in your capsule wardrobe, combining different ones or putting a print with solid colors.
- Year-round wearable: You may see capsule wardrobe style advice that says to buy new clothes every season. However, the point of a capsule wardrobe is to make it work throughout the year. You should have a mix of light layers and warmer clothes to get you through the year, based on the climate where you live.
Why Make a Capsule Wardrobe?
Rehauling your wardrobe refreshes your outfits and style. Plus, when you create a capsule wardrobe, you get attire that you're more likely to wear. Once you know how to design a capsule wardrobe, you'll get to:
1. Save Money
That's right — you'll save money with this method! A capsule wardrobe has fewer pieces than one where nothing goes together. Needing fewer clothing items means you save money, and you can put that money toward buying high-quality garments that will last awhile. Either way, you'll save in the long run since you'll have timeless clothes with long life spans.
2. Save Space
Creating a capsule wardrobe cuts down on how many pieces you have in your closet. Almost everything goes together in multiple combinations, so you won't need as many clothes as you did before. That means a capsule wardrobe is ideal for those with less closet space or anyone who wants to pare down their current wardrobe.
3. Save Time
When you style a capsule wardrobe, you put thought into each piece. You'll imagine how a clothing item will fit in with your closet and develop outfits for it. When it's time to get dressed, you'll have numerous ideas of what pieces go together. Putting on an outfit will take less time since you already have fashionable concepts in mind.
How to Design a Capsule Wardrobe
If you want the benefits of a capsule wardrobe, you first have to know how to design one. Making a capsule wardrobe isn't a strict process, either. Adapt it to suit your lifestyle, clothing preferences and budget. From there, learning how to design a capsule wardrobe involves these steps:
- Include what you have now: The first step to making a capsule wardrobe isn't getting rid of everything in your closet. Instead, you should think about what you enjoy wearing. Keep pieces that are in good condition and fit properly. Make room for capsule wardrobe must-haves and only ditch items you haven't worn in a while.
- Consider what you dress for: If you buy clothes for going out all night but you prefer to stay home, your closet won't work for you. Think of a few occasions you most often dress for. Those could be going to work, staying in, going out, running errands or exercising. You'll want clothes that fit your lifestyle for a capsule wardrobe that works for you.
- Think of trends: While a capsule wardrobe should be timeless, that doesn't mean you have to ignore trends you want to try. Plenty of trendy choices, like fun patterns, can become statements in your outfits if the trends fade over time.
- Know what colors you suit or like: Factor in your skin tone, hair color and eye color as you pick hues for a capsule wardrobe. You could also consider your personality or colors you enjoy wearing to fill your closet with items you love.
How to Create a Plus Size Capsule Wardrobe
Curvy fashionistas aren't excluded from this efficient trend! Anyone who is plus sized can turn their closet into a capsule wardrobe. To create a plus size capsule wardrobe, consider the tips above and:
- Know your style: Part of buying efficiently for your capsule wardrobe is getting pieces that fit your style. If neutrals aren't your thing, add color. If dresses or skirts aren't for you, stick with pants, shorts, rompers and jumpsuits.
- Remember your comfort: The point of a capsule wardrobe is to get the most wear out of your clothes. If you don't feel comfortable in a piece, you won't want to wear it. Pick comfortable clothing that lets you feel stylish and fabulous.
- Consider your figure: You may dress to flatter certain parts of your figure while drawing attention from others. Keep that in mind as you shop for plus size capsule wardrobe pieces.
Capsule Wardrobe Must-Haves
Capsule wardrobe pieces should be a mix of tops and bottoms that work together in different combinations. You should be able to add layers or dress your looks up and down as you need. See how to design a capsule wardrobe with these items:
Durable jeans are essentially neutral bottoms for your capsule wardrobe. They're casual with simple tops or trendy with dressier looks. If you enjoy wearing jeans, you can add versatile options to your wardrobe. If you aren't a fan of jeans, though, you can still get a similar look from comfortable jeggings. Either way, pick a few different styles to work with other pieces in your capsule wardrobe:
- Skinny jeans: Thesego with flowy or fitted tops for a clean outfit that can transform from day to night.
- Flared jeans: These bottoms add a trendy piece to your capsule wardrobe that you can wear with fitted tops.
- Relaxed fit jeans: Relaxed fit bottoms, like mom or boyfriend jeans, are casual with fitted tops and perfect for weekends or after-work get-togethers.
Consider the wash of your jeans to create a versatile capsule wardrobe. Medium washes go with casual outfits, dark ones with night-out ensembles and light washes with vintage-inspired looks. If you prefer one wash over the others, stick with that option and make it work for the occasion.
Black leggings are a capsule wardrobe must-have. Depending on the colors in your closet, you can wear black leggings with just about anything. If you prefer a more vibrant style, select a pair of leggings in a shade that will complement the colors you wear the most. Earth tones, like an olive or army green, go with numerous other colors.
No matter the shade you select for your leggings, you'll get a comfortable item you can wear almost anywhere. Work out, run errands or dress up your leggings outfit for date night. Not a fan of leggings? Not to worry. Try these alternatives to ensure you'll want to wear everything in your capsule wardrobe:
- Joggers: Try this style for a more athletic and casual option.
- Pants: These offer a professional twist on these comfortable bottoms.
- Shorts: Bike or athletic shorts are a must if you need to dress for warm weather.
A solid color skirt, particularly black, will go with almost any top in your closet, which is exactly the purpose of a capsule wardrobe. For businesswear outfits, having a skirt in your capsule wardrobe will go a long way. If you often need to dress up for work or just like wearing skirts, add a few to your collection. Pick one of these skirt styles or add each one based on your outfit needs:
- A pencil skirt: This piece can go from the office to a night out, depending on your top and different outfit elements.
- An A-line skirt: This garmentis cute yet comfortable, and you can use it in professional or date night looks.
- A mini or skater skirt: This look is better for after work, but it's still a great option to mix with casual or dressy tops.
4. Black Dresses
A black dress works for anything from somber events to work or weekend activities. Whether you always wear dresses or save them for special occasions, your capsule wardrobe shouldn't be without a little black dress. Think about what silhouette and style work best with your tastes and body type, and consider:
- A midi or knee-length dress: This dress style is versatile. It's modest enough for work or other occasions, especially if you wear tights, but you could also make it fun for a night out.
- A higher neckline: This clothing element makes your dress appropriate for various occasions. That doesn't mean you need to wear a turtleneck dress, though. Higher V-neck or rounded necklines are fabulous and work-appropriate.
- A dress with minimal embellishments: This piece lets you control how dressy or casual your outfit is. Add a belt, jewelry and heels to dress up, or add stylish sneakers for something simple.
5. Short and Long Sleeve Tops
Short and long sleeve tops are capsule wardrobe staples that work for multiple occasions. Take these tops and dress up or down based on your bottoms, shoes, accessories and layers. The versatility doesn't stop there, either. Short sleeves also work throughout the year — layer them under other tops when the weather is cold, and wear them on their own when it's hot out. If you like wearing simpler tops, pick a few different styles in short and long sleeves, like:
- Solid colors: Solid hues work well with patterns and complementary colors.
- Printed tops: A printed top canserve as a statement piece to layer with solid colors or other patterns.
- V-neck tops: These can be casual or a bit dressier based on what you pair them with.
- Round necklines: A round neckline is more casual and fun for after-work or weekend wear.
6. Blouses or Button-Ups
Add a few dressier tops for work and other occasions where a T-shirt won't cut it. For these styles, patterns or fun colors are OK, but make sure they match your bottoms and layered items. Infuse your capsule wardrobe with your personality and select:
- Floral tops: These tops are timeless. Floral is an easy print to combine with other patterns, like stripes, or pair with solid colors that complement the print.
- Sleeveless tops: These garments work well for warm climates. Add a light layer for the ultimate professional look.
- Three-quarter sleeve tops: These tops are versatile to wear for most of the year. They keep you comfortable with a bit of coverage but won't make you look bundled up against the cold.
7. Sweaters and Cardigans
Layers with sweaters and cardigans are among the most useful things you can add to your capsule wardrobe style. Choose the fabric weight based on your comfort and your area's climate. If you face cooler temperatures for most of the year, lean toward slightly heavier pieces. For warmer weather, find lightweight fabrics. Either way, you don't want a sweater that's too bulky — you'll only be able to wear that in the dead of winter.
You should also pick a few sweaters in different styles to mix and match with various pieces in your capsule wardrobe, like:
- An oversized sweater: This stylecan go over dresses or fitted tops for a cozier outfit.
- A fitted sweater: A fitted sweater works with anything from fitted to flared bottoms.
- A neutral cardigan: This garment turns warm-weather outfits into fall and winter looks.
Don't forget footwear when you create your capsule wardrobe. These pieces are more flexible, allowing them to change as the seasons do. You may need to buy new shoes after a year or two or whenever the weather turns extreme.
Still, you'll want versatile options that go with everything in your wardrobe. Pick neutral colors based on what's in your closet. If you have a lot of black, grey or white clothes, consider black footwear. If more of your clothes are navy or brown, find shoes in the same color. With these hues in mind, shop for shoes like:
- Heels: A pair of heels can enhance your work and evening outfits. Choose shorter heels for comfort and versatility on multiple occasions.
- Flats: These shoes are a stylish alternative for those who don't like wearing heels. Their comfort means you can wear them virtually anywhere.
- Booties: This footwear style suits cold-weather outfits but can go with different bottoms. Wear short boots with dresses, jeans, leggings and other pieces in your capsule wardrobe.
- Sneakers: Sneakers are a must-have for anyone who runs many errands or walks and exercises often. Consider neutral fashion sneakers to combine comfort and style.
Design Your Capsule Wardrobe With Perfectly Priscilla
If you need a closet rehaul and want to fill your wardrobe with versatile, timeless pieces, shop with Perfectly Priscilla! Our exclusive styles and sizes feature standout statement prints and versatile and fashionable colors. With our help, you'll find all the pieces you need to create a fabulous capsule wardrobe.
Create your perfect closet today with our dresses, tops, bottoms, shoes and accessories. Make your capsule wardrobe work for you with pieces from Perfectly Priscilla!