It’s that time of year again – the annual Christmas party at work is just around the corner, and you’re not quite sure what to wear. Fear not, fashionistas: whether you’re employed in a formal corporate environment, a career in retail, a non-profit organization or a healthcare facility, there’s plenty of fashionable options that are perfectly suited for your work environment’s holiday events. From gala affairs to casual get-togethers, there are a myriad of on-trend wardrobe choices this season that are sure to flatter your figure (and your wallet)! If you’re not sure what to wear to a company Christmas party, read on for helpful tips and suggestions.
What To Wear To A Casual Christmas Party: Top 5 Looks
The holiday decorations are up at work, and the mood has lightened all throughout the office – everyone’s abuzz over this year’s office party, and you’re still searching through your closet for an outfit that doesn’t say “bah humbug”. If you’re shopping online for a festive ensemble, here are five great corporate-casual looks that are certain to receive compliments from coworkers (and get you in the Christmas spirit in no time!):
- Classy In Cardigans: Layering at the office is a no-brainer – the workplace temperature can often fluctuate from a bit drafty to nice and warm in seconds flat! Consider wearing a lovely plus size cardigan this winter for your company’s holiday party – whether you choose a floral, plaid or solid color, this classic layering piece will carry you through the winter months looking stylish and feeling toasty. We suggest pairing your cardigan with a mock turtleneck, long-sleeve tee or cami; depending on your office’s dress code, style with leggings (or denim jeggings for Casual Fridays) and a snappy pair of knee-length boots. Finish your look with a statement necklace and an updo (or if you have shorter hair, consider wearing a decorative headband), and get a festive manicure in red for a pulled-together ensemble that’s both festive and work-appropriate. If your boss is taking you and your cube-mates out to lunch, consider a holiday-themed scarf or jewelry, and be sure to bring matching gloves and an umbrella for inclement weather!
- Pretty Ponchos: Another great layering option, plus size ponchos are not only on-trend this winter, but an easy way to add a stylish accent to nearly any outfit. Choose from ponchos and wraps in a myriad of fabrics and colors to complement your favorite outfit – this season, cream-colored ponchos are the answer to “winter white”, pairing effortlessly with other trendy looks, including plaid and animal prints. Styling your poncho is easy, as they look equally awesome when worn over leggings and a sweater or with a LBD, opaque tights and knee-high black boots. For your holiday office party, spruce up your poncho ensemble with a cute pair of gold hoops, matching necklace, slouchy high-heeled boots, crimson lipstick and a slicked-back ponytail or updo for an effortlessly polished look that’s sure to make you the star of your team.
- Trendy Tunic Tops: Whether you opt for leopard prints, stripes, paisleys, plaids, florals or solids, you can’t go wrong this winter with the ever-flattering plus size tunic top. Ideal for your holiday office party, these chic plus-sized tops are a fabulous option when you want to look sophisticated yet feel comfortable and relaxed throughout the workday. With so many stylish options – including bell-bottomed sleeves, lace detailing, embroidery, pleating, shark-bite hemlines and cold-shoulder options, you’re guaranteed to find a tunic that speaks to your individuality! Coordinate your look with a strappy pair of open-toed booties (for those who live in warmer climates) or over-the-knee boots, a tasseled necklace and a pair of chandelier-style earrings for a festive outfit that’s sure to have you humming Christmas carols while you work!
- Versatile Maxi Dresses: If you prefer to get a little bit more dressed up for your 9 to 5, you may want to consider a plus-sized maxi dress for your next holiday work event. Comfortable and easy to layer, maxi dresses come in a variety of solids and prints, and can be worn with leggings and boots for extra warmth during the chillier commutes. Add a chunky necklace or sparkly metallic pendant for texture and visual appeal, and dangly earrings to complete your winter ensemble. If your office party is being held at a restaurant, consider wearing a long wool coat and coordinating scarf for an ensemble that’s both stylish and professional.
- Stylish Sweaters: For a timeless office-appropriate look, winter sweaters offer a host of fashionable options for your employee Christmas party. Whether you opt for seasonal favorites in red, green or white, or more subdued shades (such as taupe or gray), sweaters are a great option for holiday gatherings at your job, as they can easily be dressed up or down depending on how you accessorize your outfit. Pair with velvet leggings, patent leather flats and gold costume jewelry for an eye-catching ensemble, or skinny jeans, a decorative necklace and a statement pair of earrings for a more casual work environment. Whether you jazz it up or play it cool, wearing a cozy sweater is sure to have you feeling comfortable and looking festive for any special occasion.
Formal Christmas Party Attire: Cute Outfit Ideas
The countdown is on and you’re unsure as to what to wear for your formal Christmas ball or holiday soiree – that’s ok; Perfectly Priscilla has got you covered! From classic evening gowns to fancy cocktail dresses, we’ve amassed an elegant assortment of special occasion dresses that were designed with the full-figured lady in mind. For the professional fashionista, read on for our top five favorite plus-sized dress styles for formal Christmas parties:
- The LBD: The little black dress never goes out of style – and that holds true for an upscale holiday work event. From off-the-shoulder ruffled dresses to long-sleeve plus-sized dresses, a fashionable LBD is a must-have in every professional woman’s wardrobe. Easily dressed up for festive corporate events, Christmas galas or your company’s annual holiday party, accessorize your plus-size little black dress according to how fancy the event is, as well as what time of day it will be held. For daytime events, you may wish to pair your ensemble with a pendant necklace, knee-high boots, black tights and a decorative scarf; for evening, dressier jewelry, shoes and accessories are a great way to impart elegance to your look. We suggest a rhinestone bib necklace or a single strand of pearls, a faux-fur wrap, black kitten heels and sheer black pantyhose for a professional and sophisticated look.
- That’s A Wrap (Dress): Another classic style, the convertible wrap maxi dress is a fabulous holiday option when considering plus-sized dress styles for your next corporate party. Whether you’re a size 10 to a size 26, this figure-flattering style shows off your curves and creates a sophisticated silhouette that’s ideal for glamorous venues. Choose a solid hue for maximum impact, and select a color that flatters your skin tone – if you’re not sure, check out a local cosmetic counter; a skilled makeup artist can identify the best palette for you (although black, white, neutrals such as taupe and gray, and pastels work for nearly everyone). When choosing accessories for your wrap dress, it’s ok to go bold – add a touch of class to your outfit with a bejeweled necklace and statement earrings, cocktail rings, and a beaded clutch to complete your evening attire.
- Chic Cocktail Dresses: For truly glitzy Christmas parties, nothing says the holidays quite like a sparkly dress – whether you opt for sequins or a shimmering metallic material, you’re sure to shine at your next corporate affair. This winter, choose from a dazzling array of cocktail and plus-size party dresses, including ruffled off-the-shoulder styles, stunning red dresses featuring dramatic belled sleeves, strapless dresses in prints and solids, cold shoulder lace dresses, and fit and flare styles in festive shades of burgundy. Accent your dress with a stylish coiffure, dazzling beaded jewelry and high heels and you’re sure to be the belle of the ball!
- Festive Work Dresses: If you’re searching for work dresses that are both trendy and affordable, we’ve got your number – our assortment of plus size work dresses for women are ideal for corporate occasions year-round, including your next holiday party or business affair. Choose from this season’s hottest looks, including mid-length frocks boasting florals, paisleys and other exciting prints, solid dresses with curve-savvy details, charming baby doll styles featuring embroidery, striped dresses, and one of this season’s on-trend fashions, the bell sleeve dress. No matter what your personal aesthetic, we have a dress to suit your distinctive fashion sense (and your wallet)! Coordinate with our signature collection of shoes and accessories for a look that is exclusively Perfectly Priscilla, and step out in style this holiday season.
- Sassy Shift Dresses: For those who are looking for dress staples for their winter wardrobe, our array of fashion-savvy shift dresses are ideal for the workplace. Effortlessly transitioning from day to night, our collection features such basics as sweater dresses in stunning solid colors, one-of-a-kind patterned dresses, whimsical polka-dotted dresses and many more flattering holiday styles. Change your look in an instant – swap out dressy boots with strappy heels, change a pony tail to a French twist, and add some blingy jewelry and you’ll be ready for your Christmas party in minutes!
- Cover Up: Whether it’s a holiday party or a regular day at the office, it's always good to be aware of showing too much cleavage, especially if your dress or blouse is low-cut. A simple solution: wear a cami in either a contrasting color (black or white works, too) to provide a modesty panel. Another stylish option: don a decorative infinity scarf made of lightweight cotton to provide extra coverage around the décolletage area.
- Keep A Spare: If you’re wearing pantyhose or tights with a dress to a workplace party, keep a spare pair in your desk for emergency runs; another quick-fix is to apply clear nail polish to the edges of the run to prevent it from getting worse. Other handy items that are good to leave in your purse or desk (these are useful year-round, too): hairspray, breath mints, a compact mirror for quick make-up touch-ups, body spray (for those who like to wear fragrance), your favorite lipstick, a travel-size toothbrush/toothpaste, and deodorant.
- Carry The Essentials: With the temperatures dropping and the chance of rain or snow likely on any given day, it’s important to dress for the weather. Always come prepared whenever possible with a pair of warm gloves, a stylish winter coat, a scarf to keep out the cold, comfortable boots and an umbrella for unexpected precipitation – if you know your Christmas party is going to be on-site at the office, remember to bring these items to work in advance and leave them in your desk for such occasions. A change of warm casual clothes can also be beneficial to change into, especially if you’re wearing a dress or high heels and it happens to snow out that day.
Dress For Success: Stylish Work Ensembles For Less
Whether you work in a fast-paced corporate office in a major city or a laid-back workplace in the suburbs, looking your best during the holidays not only boosts your spirits, but shows off your individual sense of style while reflecting your professionalism. Embrace your plus-sized curves this season and choose from our gorgeous (and affordable) collection of work-appropriate dresses, separates, shoes and accessories to create a look that’s uniquely yours this Christmas season! From our family to yours, thank you for shopping with Perfectly Priscilla.