While the leaves begin to change color and the weather is starting to cool off, the fashion world continues to sizzle this fall – and there’s no signs of stopping! With so many hot trends available, there’s no shortage of plus-size fall dresses for women to choose from this season. Whether you’re into bright hues, bold plaids, animal prints or floral patterns, there’s a dress to celebrate the diva in you! Here are some of the top dress trends and fashion colors for Fall 2018:
Ultra Violet: Not For The Faint Of Heart
All the leaves are brown, and the sky is…ultra violet? Yep, according to the Pantone Color Institute (aka the reigning dictator of the fashion & interior design world’s palette trends), 2018’s “It” color is a vivid amethyst. As featured in People magazine, the hue has been “used throughout history to represent political symbolism…and also been a favorite of famous faces ranging from Prince to Queen Elizabeth”, citing its appearance on 2018 fashion runways. Additionally, the article quoted Leatrice Eiseman, the Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute, who told the Times that the vibrant violet shade “communicates originality, ingenuity and visionary thinking.”
So, how does that translate to fall fashion? Well, for starters, it’s definitely not a color for wallflowers – this electrifying shade of purple is a show-stopper. If you’re looking to stand out in the crowd, ultra violet is a sure-fire way to make an impression. Looking ahead, it will likely be a popular color for prom and bridesmaid dresses, and has already graced runways on a global scale since late 2017. In the meantime, here are some of our favorite purple-themed picks to show you how to dress for autumn:
Featuring a vibrant magenta print, the mosaic-like pattern and subtly-tailored details showcase the gorgeous purple hue of this baby doll dress. Add a pair of chandelier-style earrings for a dramatic accent, and finish off the look with a chunky open-toe booties for a look that’s sure to garner some attention! This dress would be equally ideal for a date-night or a family gathering.
While this is listed as a ‘multi’ print, the pop color is clearly the vivid violet that is accented throughout this intricately-patterned printed dress. Featuring a modest neckline and short sleeves, it’s the perfect dress that will transition well into fall with a cute denim jacket and tights or a cropped cardigan for cozy fall layering. Jazz up your ensemble with a pendant necklace and accessorize with dangly earrings and an up-do for maximum impact.
Mad For Plaid: Bold Patterns Make A Comeback
As seen in Elle.com’s fashion trend reports, plaid is all the rage on the runways – decorating the collections of world-renowned designers and brands including Christian Dior, Michael Kors, Balenciaga and Versace, it’s no wonder this bold print has made such a strong comeback. Featured primarily in the context of bright textiles – including canary yellows, carnation pinks, lipstick reds, vivid purples and sky blues – most of the plaids found in the aforementioned collections involve some degree of structure, whether seen in a tailored pants suit or a fur-trimmed overcoat.
Although plaid may be seen as a bold print that depicts a certain degree of masculinity, it can be softened when worn in pastels or accessorized with the right jewelry and complementary layers. Choose one piece of plaid per outfit and make it a focal point – for example, pair a sleek black skirt and blouse with a blue plaid jacket for a timelessly elegant look, or a decidedly feminine plaid shirt with black leggings for a stylish weekend ensemble.
While it’s a strong pattern that requires a certain degree of confidence to pull off, we’ve got a few fashion-forward faves from this season’s dress collection you’re sure to love:
This ultra-chic plaid dress features an oversized pattern on the bias, giving it an unexpectedly edgy look. With a minimalist silhouette and 3/4 length sleeves, this mini dress is on-trend and makes a great addition to your fall wardrobe! Pair with over-the-knee boots in a neutral shade to complete the look, and add gold-tone accent tassel earrings for the finishing touch. This is a perfect work dress, although it can easily transition to an evening out with the right shoes and a bold shade of red lipstick!
For fashionistas seeking the softer side of plaid, our ‘Challenge Accepted’ dress combines the classic lines of a form-fitting hourglass silhouette style with a subdued take on this year’s trendy pattern. Pair it with strappy sandals for a flirty daytime look, or wear with over-the-knee boots for a sexy night on the town. A dress like this doesn’t need much accessorizing – keep it simple with a pair of statement earrings and a clutch and you’re out the door!
Animal Prints: Show Off Your Wild Side
Sources at Elle also confirmed that the 1980s are alive and well – from over-the-top neons to exaggerated ruffled details, the decade of excess is seeing a revival on the runway. Animal prints are no exception to the rule this fall – featured in different fashion-forward incarnations in leading design houses, expect to see leopard, cheetah and other primal patterns grace a wide array of garments and styles.
Whether you like to express your basic instinct with a bold tiger-printed shirt or prefer a more subtle approach (perhaps a diminutive snakeskin belt?), there is an endless array of stylish option to choose from. Much like plaid, a good rule of thumb is to limit your usage of patterns in one ensemble (unless you’re going for the 80s metal rocker look): choose a single item to become the focal point of your outfit, whether it’s a giraffe-printed handbag or a zebra-patterned scarf. Another fashionista tip: bold orange and red lipsticks pair wonderfully with animal prints, as do nudes – keep all other makeup to a minimum, although a strong cat’s eye using liquid liner works well with this look.
So go ahead, conjure up your inner wild child – here’s a couple of must-haves for your fall collection:
For the inner vixen within, there is no sultriertrendy plus size maxi dress than this! Featuring a dramatic empire waistline and a figure-flattering fit, this dynamic printed dress is sure to make you feel like a goddess. Wear to any event when you want to be the center of attention. Complete your look with a stunning pendant necklace and you might be ready to take on the world!
This white-hot mini plus size dress packs maximum impact – it’s no wonder it’s one of our best-sellers! Featuring an all-over cheetah pattern and v-cut neckline, you’ll adore the quarter-length bell-bottom sleeves that add an extra element of drama. Rock this little number with a pair of over-the-knee or cowboy boots and you’re sure to turn some heads.
Floral For Fall: Channel Your Inner Romantic
For the romantics at heart, you’re in luck – floral dresses are making a big comeback this season. Once again, Elle.com reported an influx of major design houses featuring flowery patterns and flowy silhouettes, including Christian Dior, Coach 1941, and Chloe, among others. Specifically, the most prominent style was the ‘prairie’ dress, conjuring up fashions of yesteryear. With their long, sinuous lines and ethereal patterns, it doesn’t surprise us that the floral craze has returned in a major way!
While some traditionalists prefer more neutral hues and patterns, this season offers a vast array of floral prints and colors to choose from – whether you enjoy earth tones or deep saturated primaries, there’s a color and style to suit your every whim. Fashionista tip: for very busy/smaller prints, keep accessories to a minimum and opt for one or two strong statement pieces; sunglasses with colored lenses have also made a reprise this season as the ‘must-have’ accessory.
Below, a few floral stand-outs from our fall collection:
Who says flowery dresses are all pastels? This chic black maxi-dress features an eye-catching floral all-over print on a stunning black background. Flattering tailoring includes three-quarter length sleeves and an empire waist to show off your sexy curves. Pair with a gold tone statement necklace and earring set, and you’re sure to be the belle of the ball!
Talk about on-trend – this dazzling special occasion dress features not one but two hot trends for fall: a vibrant shade of hot pink and a floral print (maybe that’s why it’s one of our customer favorites)! With an exquisite all-over pattern contrasted against a vibrant magenta baby-doll silhouette, this unique dress is ideal for work or leisure. Layer with a cute shrug and boots for the cooler months, and pare down in the spring with a strappy sandals – it’s a great year-round dress that’s sure to garner you loads of compliments!
Fashionista Tips For Fall: Helpful Do’s & Don’ts
Handbags: This season, oversized handbags are all the rage. However, be careful what you carry – they can quickly become heavy (and in some cases, can even cause physical harm)!
- Do: clean out your purse often – throw away miscellaneous receipts, gum wrappers, tissues and anything else that might clutter up your beautiful bag. Wipe down your bag frequently, too (the type of fabric/material will determine how you clean it): remember, your bag goes everywhere with you – think about where it’s been the next time you put it on your dining room table!
- Don’t: make a habit of carting around multiples of things – i.e., every lipstick you own, several books at a time, a million pens…you get the idea. Also: don’t forget to keep a lid on things – all too often, we ruin the interiors of our favorite handbags due to uncapped pens and eyeliners gone astray.
Accessories: Nothing is more annoying in the morning than not being able to locate your jewelry! Keep your precious necklaces, pendants, earrings, bracelets and rings organized and make your get-ready routine a snap.
- Do: Create a dedicated space to store your jewelry – we suggest one central location (such as a jewelry armoire) versus multiple containers. You might also consider wall-mounting racks for larger pieces; this is especially helpful for statement necklaces, as they’re less apt to get tangled and broken.
- Don’t: Stash your jewelry in tiny boxes strewn all over your house – it not only makes it difficult to keep track of all of your favorite pieces, but harder to find when you’re in a rush. Another common faux-pas: stashing jewelry in drawers and cabinets – although it might be tempting when doing a quick clean-up for company, ultimately you’ll wind up losing and/or damaging your beloved baubles.
Fragrances: Although it may not be a physical garment, the perfumes and scents we choose are very personal – and are certainly something we wear! However, the ‘wrong’ fragrance can easily ruin an otherwise put-together diva. Some general rules of thumb to consider when choosing your personal fragrance(s):
- Do: Keep in mind where you’ll be wearing your favorite perfume – if you’re in close quarters at work (or happen to know a co-worker is allergic/sensitive to fragrances), it may not be appropriate to wear strong scents. Choosing light scents that others can only smell when they get close to you may be your best option, if you must wear a fragrance. Also, feedback is valuable – if you’ve received multiple compliments on a certain perfume you wear frequently, chances are your body chemistry mixes well with that particular scent (and it’s not offensive to those around you)!
- Don’t: Try to avoid impulse purchases – because perfume actually reacts to the pheromones on your skin, it’s difficult to tell how it will eventually smell when you first apply it. Your best bet? Test out a fragrance, particularly if it’s expensive or an eau de parfum (body sprays are typically watered down and light, so they’re safer bets – and much cheaper investments). Wear it for several hours; you may even wish to get a sample of it to really familiarize yourself with the scent and see if you like it. Often times, the first impression it made on your nose may not be how it wears on your body in the long run, and you’ll be disappointed (and stuck with a bottle of perfume you’ll wind up having to re-gift or sell online).